Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

Today was February 29, 2012. This year is a leap year because it takes earth 365.25 days to orbit the sun and so every 4 years, an extra day is added. It's added in February because a long time ago, February was the end of the year. There was special Google art today. They are celebrating the 220th birthday of Gioachino Rossini. According to Google, he wrote 'The Barber of Seville.' Bugs Bunny did their own version called 'The Rabbit of Seville' which was hilarious. Here is Google's artwork for today:



Stacy's club at school was having a bake sale today. They were going to dress in cosplay when they sold the cakes and stuff. She dressed up as a character from Farscape named  Aeryn Sun and the character was in a costume with a white flowing dress covered with little gold stars. Stacy glued the stars on the dress. Sometimes stars tend to fall off of it, so there were a lot of little falling stars at the school today. 

Yesterday, Stacy made a big squid cake. It was a strawberry cake in the shape of a squid with strawberry frosting. There was candy from a candy necklace for the suckers on the tentacles. She melted white chocolate candies and put the mixture in two little ladles for the big eyeballs and painted in the irises with food coloring. Somebody did end up buying her squid cake. She was hoping that somebody would buy it. She was having trouble getting it to look the way she wanted to last night and got frustrated, but it turned out great. Here is a picture of the last squid cake she made, which looks just like the one she made yesterday and took to school today.

Stacy's Squid Cake

It was a really good squid cake. Stacy makes great squid cakes. It was a Leap Day Squid Cake.

Davey Jones from The Monkees died of a heart attack today. He was only 66. I remember when I was a kid he was real popular, sort of like Justin Bieber is today. His picture was frequently on the cover of teen magazines like Tiger Beat. When The Monkees sang, girls would scream like crazy. I wasn't really that crazy about him. He was okay, but a little too commercial for my likes. They had a comedy TV show in the 60's. He will be missed.

Last night, our goldfish, Marc Antony died. He wasn't sick. He seemed just fine earlier that day. He had gotten a little fin fungus a week or so ago, but it cleared up. I was careful not to over feed him. He knew when I was going to feed him, he would swim up to the front of the tank. He would get so excited when I was going to feed him. He was a cool-looking goldfish. We will miss Marc Antony. I will miss feeding him every night.

Today was a perfect day to work at the Heard Museum, the weather was beautiful. It got into the 70's. I worked with two very good volunteers. I didn't have to deal with Cora, the Coatimundi, just Ruby, who didn't give me any grief. It was wonderful being with the two deer in their newly expanded field. There is lots of spring grass coming up. Desi, the Capybara really enjoyed it, so did the Cavies and the deer. Mister the Mongoose went into his crate real easily so I could clean his area and put his food out.

Today, when I drove to the grocery store to pick up a few things and I saw the rush hour traffic flowing in from the highway, I knew that my husband was on his way home from work in that traffic. When I used to see the rush hour traffic, I used to think that it's not fair, all of those people had jobs and my husband didn't. He was no longer a part of that world through no fault of his own. Now he has a job and is one of those people coming home from work in the midst of the rush hour traffic. I am so glad he has a job. It's a nice job too, something he likes to do, editing and writing. It's what he's talented in. 

The next leap year will be 2016. The next leap day will be February 29, 2016. Maybe there will be frogs in the Google art on that day too.

No comments:

Post a Comment